Mint is packed with antioxidants, and drinking peppermint tea is thought to have a ton of health advantages. Like all things, this tea also comes with some disadvantages. Read on to find out more about the pros and cons of this popular beverage.
List of Advantages of Peppermint Tea
1. Menthol is present in peppermint tea, and this aromatic decongestant can help break up mucus and phlegm. When you have a sore throat, menthol can also help cool it.
2. The rosmarinic acid contained in peppermint tea acts as an anti-inflammatory. It can help relieve the symptoms of seasonal allergies.
3. Women who breastfeed often have pain in their nipples as the act itself can cause damage. Cooled peppermint tea can help prevent cracking and pain in the nipples of breastfeeding mothers.
4. Peppermint tea can help freshen breath and even is an anti-microbial agent in the mouth.
5. Peppermint has long been used to calm indigestion and upset stomachs. Bile flow is increased, which will encourage good digestion.
6. The pain that comes from bloating and gas will be decreased with peppermint tea, as will the amount of flatulence.
7. While taking pure menthol is dangerous and can make you very sick, peppermint tea is a great way to enjoy the health benefits of mint without danger as the mint is so diluted.
8. Patients with IBS often find that their symptoms decrease when drinking peppermint tea on a regular basis.
List of Disadvantages of Peppermint Tea
1. If you have digestive problems that are related to gastroesophageal reflux disease then drinking peppermint tea can actually make this condition worse. Never try to self-diagnose and treat your symptoms without the approval of a doctor.
2. If you currently have or had gallstones in the past then drinking peppermint tea can exacerbate them.
3. Young children and babies should not be exposed to peppermint tea, as it can actually inhibit breathing by causing spasms.
4. Large amounts of peppermint tea during pregnancy can actually cause a woman to have a miscarriage.
5. Some prescription medications can interact with peppermint tea, causing the medications to not be as effective or efficient.
6. As the FDA does not control the production of herbal teas, there is the chance of contamination, especially from pesticides. Always make sure you purchase your tea from a reputable source.
7. Acid reflux is exacerbated by drinking peppermint tea, which will only worsen your symptoms and pain.
Peppermint tea is not without some wonderful advantages, but always make sure that what you’re putting in your body is healthy.