Times have changed a lot over the past just twenty or ten years. Today instead of booking flights and heading to cheap hotels, conference meetings with bosses and coworkers can happen from the comfort of your bedroom. Now you can sit in front of your screen, clad in a suit and tie, while wearing your plaid pajama bottoms! Although, as great as this all sounds, it does make one wonder what we’re losing from doing almost everything online. Now instead of talking with our coworkers and building strong relationships, the growing majority logs onto a computer database where assignments are assigned right there. So the next time you’re preparing for a conference, here are somethings to think about and what makes online conferences so awesome, but also what you risk losing as well.
Advantages of Online Conferencing
1. It’s no secret that being able to wake up late, avoid complicated flight routines and sleeping in your own bed are all advantages to online conferences. Not only is it more comfortable but it’s worlds cheaper.
2. The majority of workplaces don’t cover the fees of travel and lodge, leaving the costs on your shoulders.
3. Online conferences are a much cheaper alternative. Not only is it cheaper, but often times it’s much more flexible.
4. For some one on one work interviews, it makes it much easier to plan when two people can get in front of their computer screens instead of when those two people can meet up on the same day at the same place!
Disadvantages of Online Conferencing
1. Not everyone’s internet is great. That’s a given.
2. Now mix slow internet, with an old computer, a house full of kids and you’ve got yourself a nightmare situation! Not only are technical limitations an issue but, as stated earlier, work relationships don’t bud at all when your meeting each other on the screen, strictly talking about business.
3. In today’s day and age, relationships are becoming more and more shallow, with no depth.
4. This makes people feel even more alone. Talking with coworkers and building relationships no matter how intimidating or aggravating as it may sound it is still important. And with online conference calls it’s becoming more and more scare all together.
No matter what great inventions we have today or will create tomorrow, we’re always losing something. Whether it be friendships made or frustrating internet connections, we still face problems with even the most convenient of creations. So it’s up to you what you want to endure and avoid!
Natalie Regoli is a child of God, devoted wife, and mother of two boys. She has a Masters Degree in Law from The University of Texas. Natalie has been published in several national journals and has been practicing law for 18 years. If you would like to reach out to contact Natalie, then go here to send her a message.